Sunday, September 27, 2009

YSA Conference in Minneapolis

Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend the YSA Conference in Minneapolis. MN. Singles from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa attended the conference that was themed "the Glory of God." It was great experience! While I initially attended with the primary intention of meeting other single adults, I was treated to a spiritual feast. While I did not have the opportunity to hear from Sister Beck, the keynote speaker, I was instructed by several state presidents on themes such as virtue, decision making, and personal betterment. Afterward, we had a service project in the gym, making games for little kids. After re-positioning myself at a table of strangers so that I could meet some new people, I found myself sitting at the table with Mark Madsen, an NBA basketball player on the Minnesota Timberwolves. It was awesome talking with him; despite the fact that he was a famous athlete, he was still very down to earth. Later that night he roped me into learning swing dancing as we went on a cruise down the Mississippi. On Sunday, we heard from President and Sister Holt, the first president and matron on the St. Paul Temple. I found their counsel very applicable to me as a young single adult. The drive home from Minnesota was long but relatively uneventful, expect for the 1 hour where, due to a logistical misstep or two, we had to cram 6 people and their belongings into a Subaru Outback.

After I arrived back in Madison, I was proud at my efforts to be outgoing and to meet girls that I had found attractive. However, I also realized that, because I had squandered opportunities in Provo, I am going to have to make sacrifices to travel large distances to meet singles. The weekend felt like I had just moved into a new BYU ward and was meeting new people, taking notes of the people I'd ask out. Unfortunately, the weekend was much different in that they all live 5 hours away and I can't ask someone out for a date for this next weekend. I will have to look for opportunities to return to Minnesota. They may be few a far between but I can't go a year between positive experiences with the opposite sex.


photo coming here... I misplaced my USB cable in the move


I now am legal to drive in Wisconsin. I have Wisconsin plates! Aren't they nifty?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.