Sunday, October 25, 2009

Another week has gone by and I finally feel like I have my academic "sea legs." A couple of weeks ago I took 2 midterms. At the time, I felt that I had done horribly. It turns out that I did better than the class average but I know that I can do much better. Since then, I've worked hard to understand the material and to get ahead on homework assignments. Consequently, I now explain to my classmates how things are done instead of the other way around. I like this much better. I have two more exams coming up but I feel that I will be ready to ace the exams, thus establishing myself as a standout amongst my very bright peers.

Fall is in full swing and I love it! I've been running lately in the woods on Eagle Heights overlooking the lake. While the weather has been wet, it is still exhilarating to glide down trails under a canopy of spectacular firework-esque foliage. Though I don't have any photos of the trails, check out this photo of the tree outside of my apartment!

Speaking of running, I was inspired by friend, Dr. Iain Hunter, to start training for a marathon. As a 35 year old professor at BYU and father of 4, his winning of the St. George Marathon in only his second marathon is really something. After I sent him my congratulations, he asked me when I would run one, telling me that he expected big things. I know that marathons will play to my strengths. I only need to find the time to train. Currently, I am only running 50 miles a week with little speed workout other than the occasional chasing down of bicyclists. I need to find a good training partner.

I remembered last Friday that Saturday was the REI garage sale. I had never gone and thought that it would be a fun Saturday morning activity. I scheduled my long run for later on in the day and got in line at REI at 8:30. I made the tactical error of not wearing a hat and gloves so I was somewhat uncomfortable during the hour that I waited. However, the discomfort was not in vain! I emerged from REI having spent $140 on:
  • A barely used coleman backpacking latern (retail: $85)
  • A brand new goretex rain shell (retail: $120)
  • A used REI Half Dome 2 HC tent (retail: $180)
  • A new Osprey Aura 50 Backpack (retail:$200)
As you can see, I paid approximately 25% of retail. What a steal! I'm pretty pleased with myself as you can see in the picture below with my items. Next year I will go earlier with proper attire and load up on snowshoes an the like. Maybe in the future I will be able to outfit an entire scout troop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.