Sunday, December 27, 2009

Semester Epilogue

Almost all of my final grades have been posted and, much to my surprise, I have two A's. I was figuring that I would be lucky to get straight ABs (the UW equivalent to a A-/B+) so I feel very blessed. As mentioned previously, this semester has been quite a humbling experience. While I previously I bemoaned my self-inflicted circumstances, I now would not have it any other way. I've come to realize that my current modus operandi will not carry me to the lofty heights that I hope to achieve. I must fundamentally change how I approach each day.
In La Jolla, I talked with a colleague who knew John Hedengren. John was a BYU chemical engineering student who preceded me by 1 year. I always looked at John as a great example because he not only was a top student but also was an All-American cross country athlete. This colleague of mind told me that what made John unique was that he did not waste a single moment. As I reflect on my semester, I realize that I had not been as wise a steward as I ought with my time. Life's too short to be frittered away.
The fundamental change mentioned previously will be with regards to daily planning. I'll take a page out of Preach My Gospel and plan each night for the next day, AFTER writing in my journal. In that way, I'll be able to reflect on the day and make plans to correct any mistakes and time-squandering habits the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.