Sunday, January 31, 2010

Charitable Giving

This document is a compilation of religious, philosophical, and idealistic personal sentiments on the role of money and wealth. While I do not espouse my personal stance as a universal standard, I do hope that my thoughts will be enlightening to the reader. “Enlightening” in that they provide a window into my psyche and impart new understanding regarding charitable giving that leads to general betterment of all mankind.

It is interesting to note the confluence of philosophical and religious writing regarding giving to the poor and needy. Philosopher Peter Singer argues that “if it is our power to prevent something very bad from happening, without thereby sacrificing anything else morally significant, we ought, morally, to do it. [1] ” I give one example: If we can donate $50 to fix the cleft palate of a child in Africa without ourselves plunging into the depths of poverty, it is our moral duty to so. Surely a life-changing surgery is more important than another DVD on the bookshelf. Yet how many DVDs are on your shelf, and when was the last time you donated to a humanitarian cause? Of course, these actions should extend beyond the giving of alms; however, I constrain myself here to the constructive use of wealth.

The arguments of Singer have a familiar ring yet the moral obligation behind such reasoning is hollow. Obligations of any kind are abrasive to the natural man within all of us. In order to see spontaneous giving on the scale called for by Singer, we all must elevate ourselves to a higher plane. In this higher plane we recognize the existence of a Heavenly Father and acknowledge that we are all brothers and sisters.

If all brothers and sisters, then we all have a vested interest in the well-being of each other. Even I, a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin, should be interested in strangers on the other side of the globe. Upon hearing of their suffering, I should be moved with compassion to do all that I am reasonable able to alleviate their suffering. But why do I not do so? Is it because I do not truly believe in the brotherhood of mankind? No. Am I too attached to the things of this world? Perhaps.

It is illustrative to consider the account of the rich young man who came to Jesus Christ. “What shall I do to inherit eternal life?” he asked. Christ responded, “Sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven;and come, and follow me.” The young rich man departed sorrowing “for he was very rich” (Luke 18:17-24). It is difficult to part with hard-earned wealth that we supposedly deserved. However, I echo the sentiments of King Benjamin: “Are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?” (Mosiah 4:19). The test for us in affluent America is the same as that of the rich young man. Will we give all that we can reasonably give to the poor?

Now, I don't believe wealth to be inherently wrong. Though Christ did say, “For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God,” He can put a camel through the needle. Thus the rich man can get into heaven, if God is permitted to assist. We do this by seeking the kingdom of God first. Then we will “obtain riches, if [we] seek them; and [we] will seek them for the intent to do good- to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry and to liberate the sick and the afflicted.” (Jacob 2:19). Remember, it is “the love of money [that] is the root of all evil” (1 Tim 6:10).

Money is like steam; it has little intrinsic value but when harnessed it can do amazing work. Think what difference you can make in the world if you forgo the latest technological gadget, a fancy dinner, or a new pair of jeans and instead donate to help the impoverished, the lame, the disfigured, and the blind. The words of Paul come to mind: “When I was a child I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things” (1st Cor. 13:11). We should fill our lives not with toys but with actions that, using the words of Singer, “prevent something bad from happening.”

Lest we think that the giving of alms is enough may we remember the words of Paul to the Saints of Corinth: “And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, I am nothing” (1st Cor. 13:3). May we “think of your brethren like unto [our]selves, and be familiar with all, and free with your sustenance, that they may be rich like unto [us] (Jacob 2:17).

President Uchtdorf recently encouraged us to ask ourselves ““Knowing that I am a child of God, what need I do and be to live up to this potential?” This is a personal question with a personal answer. I know what I will do. As we act in way reflecting an honest answer to this question on our quest for eternal life, may we do so in such a manner “that [our] left hand know not what [our] right hand doeth (Matt 6:1-4). I close with the text from the hymn “Because I have been given much”

Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty Lord, each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care,
I cannot see another's lack and I not share,
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roof's safe shelter overhead,
That he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord,
I'll share thy love again according to thy Word
I shall give love to those in need; I'll show that love by word and deed,
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

References

  1. Singer, P. Famine, Affluence, and Morality. Philosophy and Public Affairs, Vol. 1, No. 3. pp. 229-243 (1972).




2 comments:

  1. Dan,
    Nate told me about this blog, and I love it. Thanks for writing. I am glad, not only to see how you are doing, but I love your writing style, because it is so undeniably similar to how you talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,
    You are a great example to me!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.