After completing an Aspire Climbing Class at the Boulder Climbing Gym, I decided that rock climbing was an activity that I want to pursue. I feel that it will be excellent opportunity to improve my fitness and get away from the rigor of graduate studies. Rock climbing is a sort of meditation; while climbing, you can't think of anything else but the next move. Additionally I'll have the opportunity to meet many new people
As a result, yesterday I invested in these climbing shoes and a chalk bag. I then proceeded to tear up the skin on a fair portion of my right hand while doing laps on the wall. Not a problem, though! Next time I'll tape up my hands and avoid the "juggy" problems where I have the tendency to climb with just my arms.
My short term goals are to improve my hand strength and footwork. I struggle with even V1 boulder problems because I can't get good purchase on so-called "crimpers." Additionally, I tend to use more strength than technique as I work up the wall. That won't do in the long run (or climb, rather!). It has been humbling to see women easily do routes which stymie me. That being said, the beautiful thing about climbing it that it is so personal. My only competition is myself. As long as I am a little better than I was before I am content :). I'll be able to climb as equally well as those 30-something mothers soon enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.