Sunday, July 11, 2010

On Perfection...

I'm an admitted perfectionist. I don't know from where the feelings originated but they've been reinforced by the counsel from the Savior: "Be ye therefore perfect" (Matt: 5:48) I've felt that if I were only good enough (i.e. more disciplined, focused, and not as weak) I could do it. I've work hard to that end. I've relied on the Atonement occasionally but have focused primarily on my own efforts. Imaginably, I've had limited success. Today I finally had a realization that was a long time coming.

The original Greek text uses the word "telios" which means whole or complete. "Be ye whole." The Savior is not urging me to be perfect. He is urging me and you to be whole, to be complete, to be clean and unspotted from the world. I can fulfill his admonition even if I still am awkward at times. I can be complete and whole as I apply the Atonement daily to overcome the pet sins that keep me from reaching a higher level of spirituality. Then, even though my speech is not perfect and I have not been endowed with the best social graces, I will be whole. My garments will be perfectly white in the blood of Christ.

This is the type of perfectionist that I will work to become. Perfect in that I focus on what really matters and live pure so that I harness the power of the Atonement. As I do so, I can't help but love who am I that very moment because my being whole allows be to be molded by the Savior. He will mold me into what I should be if I am patient enough to wait on his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.