Sunday, August 1, 2010

To Nauvoo

Each summer the Madison Institute makes a trip down to Nauvoo to attend the temple, see the pageant, and visit the historical sites there. The entire trip is financed by the proceeds from parking lot sales for the home football games at UW. This last weekend I had the opportunity to go on this trip to Nauvoo. It was phenomenal.

The weather was sporadically rainy but the showers did not dampen our enthusiasm. The first shower was weathered indoors as we watched the movie, "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration" and the second provided some refreshing cool during a couple of hours of pioneer games. I don't have any photos taken of me on stilts, using the two man saw, playing tug-or-war or the stick pull so you'll just have to imagine me having a blast. That shouldn't be too hard. :)

The highlights of the trip were the pageant, the session in the temple, and visiting Carthage. I found the pageant to be very well done and very engaging. The Nauvoo Temple illuminated on the bluff overlooking the stage was a powerful reminder of the reality of the events depicted. The next morning I attended a session in the temple and received several insights that I was able to incorporate into my life immediately. Later, we drove down to Carthage. I had never visited the Carthage jail and I felt a confirming witness of the divinity of the work that Joseph did as the Lord's prophet. As we drove back to Madison in the rented 15-person vans, I felt edified. I already look forward to visiting Nauvoo next year to see sites that I was unable to visit.

Here are a few select photos from my visit:

The Nauvoo Temple:

My roommates and I around the statue of Joseph and Hyrum. The Carthage Jail is in the background.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you had such a wonderful experience there. I remember when I first lived in SLC the singles' ward rented a couple of buses and went to the Manti pageant, as we drove towards Manti I could see the Manti temple in the distance and it was a bright coral color because of the sunset. It was also a spiritual experience just to be there. I am so glad you are having those kinds of experiences too. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.