Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ironman

Every September there is an Ironman triathlon in Madison. I remember seeing bedraggled participants running by the Institute shortly after I first arrived in Madison. The sight of their exhausted bodies might cause some to decide never to do such an ordeal. For me, it only inspires me. If they can do it, then why can't I.

There have always been a few deterrents to me doing an Ironman. The first is that I am not really a swimmer and 2.4 miles of swimming across open water seems like it would be a tall order. The second is that it is on a Sunday and I will not compete in an athletic event on Sunday. The last and definitely least reason is the steep entry fee: $575! As a graduate student I can't be frivolously throwing about my money and paying someone so that I can bike, run, and swim on public roads and waterways.

Thankfully, all of these deterrents are easily avoided. The first is avoided by putting aside my pride and embracing the fact that I am only going to become a better swimmer by swimming. These means further diversifying my exercise portfolio to include some swimming. The other two obstacles were lifted by a suggestion from Adam B., a friend of mine from BYU and fellow chemical engineering graduate student. While we were waiting in line early in the morning at the REI Scratch and Dent Sale he proposed that we do the Ironman course by ourselves two weeks earlier than the may event on a Saturday. Sure, I won't get a medal or a goodie bag but I will also by $575 better off. And I will still have that rich experience of extreme cardiovascular exercise. I can't help smiling as I right this. )

How will I have time to do all this you might ask. Well, the training for biking and swimming is going to have to wait until the summer but that's OK: a good 3 months will be all I need to get the swimming and biking down. In the meantime, it's time to get my body back in shape to run 20 miles without complaining mightily. What a better time to do this than a cold, Madison winter? My thoughts exactly!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I like the spunk you have as well as the determination to 'go for it'. I hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be your greatest accomplishment yet. JK, but it will definitely be something to add to your long list of achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Dan. It is great to have goals to work towards. A suggestion that I would like to make is to have someone in a boat watching you two as you swim in case either of you have any trouble in the water. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.