Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A quiet ripple

Well, I've survived.  My last semester at BYU is history.  I attempted to do more than was prudent and suffered the consequences.  And yet, I feel like I've learned an important lesson that I would not trade for the world.  What's that lesson?  That I am like everyone else.  

I bet you're thinking, "What an arrogant guy!  Could he really have thought he was that different from the rest of us?"  If you are, you're right.  And I did.    I remember during the recent General Conference that Neal A. Andersen told a story about a speaking assignment he had with President Packer.  President Packer stood up and said, "I'm a nobody."  He then proceeded to tell Elder Andersen that he was a nobody too.  Then he said, "If you ever forget it, the Lord will remind you of it instantly, and it won't be pleasant."  I'm a nobody, too. It hasn't been a pleasant realization but it is what it is.   The Lord has made is plainly obvious to me that without him I am nothing.  I can fight like a dragon, I can eliminate all frivolity from my life, but that is not enough.  I need to lean on the Lord and not to my own understanding.  

It's been a tough pill to swallow.  Not because I don't want the Lord's help but because I always thought I was different.  Maybe I am, but just like everyone else :).  As I embark on this summer, I will embrace who I am.  Not just an athlete.  Not just a researcher.  Not just a hiker.  Not just a roommate.  Not just a friend.  But all of the above and more. How much more?  Come along and let's find out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.