Sunday, March 28, 2010

Epic Adventure

I didn't make it to Door County this weekend. I was preempted by pre-planned activities and persuaded by the words "Let's do it the last week in April. It'll be warmer." However, I still went on an Epic adventure. Why was it Epic? By definition! Let me explain...

5 miles southwest of Madison is a small city called Verona. According to the street signs that I have run by, Verona has a population of approximately 11,000. Located in just outside of Verona is the "Intergalactic Headquarters" of Epic Systems, a company that develops software for hospitals. At their headquarters they employ more than 3000 employees. Epic apparently likes BYU alumni and employs many members of the singles ward here in Madison. I was invited by one of them, Emily, to accompany her to the Epic 31st Anniversary Party.

The Anniversary Party was at the new campus of their Intergalactic Headquarters that is in the last stages of construction. It's a truly "epic" campus, with office buildings themed after Asia, the American West, and others. The decor in each building matches each theme quite well. There were dragons hanging from the ceiling of the training rooms, teak hardwood floors, and bamboo growing in the building themed after Asia. The other builds were equally exquisitely decorated.

This party was held in the main building on campus, the "Epicenter." There was a World Tour of Food catered by local ethnic restaurants, an "Off Broadway" show, trivia contest, silent auction, and a film contest. Just for fun, I will enumerate all the foods that I ate as part of the Tour of Food.

At the Japanese station: Spicy Tuna and Salmon sushi
At the Jamaican station: Jerk Pork, Rundown Tofu, Meat Pie, and Rice and Beans
At the Mexican station: Chicken Tinga, Cochinita Pibil, and Tamales
At the Indonesian station: Daging Rendang, Udang Mentega, Sayur Loodeh and Kru[puk Bawang Putih
At the Indian station: Vegetable Biryani, Pepper Chicken, Vegatable Machurian and Naan
For dessert: Cupcakes!

I apologize for not providing a description of the dishes but I don't have the time at the moment. I will provide a link to a photo of the menu and program.

<>

This coming week is spring break. That means that I don't have any class but it does not mean that I will be taking a break. I plan on taking full advantage of the extra time that I will have to prepare for upcoming exams, to perform more MD simulations, and eliminate the omnipresent bugs in my code. After I get some preliminary results, I will make the post I promised last time describing my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.