This post will seem quite ironic, given the subject matter of my previous post. However, some of the endearing aspects of life are the sweet ironies that we face. "What is so ironic?" you might ask. That I have decided to stop training for a marathon. In fact, I have decided to retire from the realm of competitive running.
This decision was brought on by the realization of two facts. The first was that my physique makes it so I cannot train at the high level that I desire without straddling the line between injury and health. The second was that people are the most important thing in my life. My running has kept me from being with people and has kept me from enjoying the company of others. After a long day of work and a 14 mile run, I don't have too much energy to chat with others. If I don't socialize, how can I ever aspire to arrive where I wish to be (married and a good communicator). Additionally, if I never become a true friend to others, how can I ever expect to have true friends?
This last week I've applied this new paradigm to my life and I now wonder why I didn't do this years earlier. I've regained the heights of academic achievement that I enjoyed in the past and am happier and more rested than I've been in a long time. In addition, I now have time to do some of those things that I've always wanted like sailing and rock climbing. I hope to have time to join the sailing club (http://www.hoofersailing.org/) and to climb occasionally at the Boulder Gym. I still find time to workout most days but I have time for spontaneity. Imagine that!
In the next few days, I'll post some information on my current research projects. Then, after my weekend trip to Door County, I hope to have some interesting pictures for you to look at. Until then! - D.H.
Dan I was going to post loads in this comment about how glad I am about you making this decisions and about Door County (I have been there too, you see) but then I thought that might sound like rambling so I thought instead I should just say: good job!!!! And I am so glad you are having time to do things that you really want to do.
ReplyDeleteDan,
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you. You are doing great things with your life, and I am grateful that you are my brother and a true friend.
Anne
Way to go! :) Enjoy your new-found time to socialize. You were, by the way, always a good friend to me.
ReplyDelete:) Mena
Hi Dan,
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that I stumbled across your blog as I was surfing Facebook not wanting to do my homework. I really enjoyed reading your posts--I am particularly thankful for your candidness about the trials you've had/are having with grad school, about your commitment to the Lord, and the many wonderful things that are happening in your life. Many things sounded familiar since I've been going through many of the same experiences (but not running 50 miles a week), especially in my own program at UW-Madison.
Thanks for creating this blog and for your honest writing. You're really a great example for me and I'm glad you're in my ward!