Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In Madison but not of Madison

Yesterday in Sunday School we discussed the lessons learned from Lot and Abram in Genesis. I was moved by the imagery of facing one's tent towards Sodom. It has got me thinking of my life thus far in Madison. In my efforts to adjust to rigorous demands of graduate school, I planted my tent facing Madison. Sure, I've distanced myself from the rampant achoholism near campus by moving south of the Beltline but I've not distanced myself from the secular pursuit of high achievement at any cost. As a result, during my first semester in Madison I effectively let academia take over my entire life. Through it all, I did not come to the Lord via prayer to ask for assistance. The result: unfulfilled self and unhappiness.


Contrast those feelings with those that I have had this semester as I have strived to reestablish my relationship with the Lord. Like the people of King Benjamin (Mosiah 2:6), I've now adjusted my tent to face towards the temple. As I have shifted my focus, I have found that all aspects of my life have improved. I am happier, more social, more charitable, more productive, and more intelligent. Most importantly, I feel that my heart is beginning to change. I am regaining the spiritual high ground from whence I slipped last semester. I know that faith in Jesus Christ is rooted in understanding of the plan of salvation and the figurative direction of your tent is a clear indicator of your understanding of the plan of salvation.

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.