Sunday, January 23, 2011

Passion for flashin'

I recently decided to take my rock climbing from a casual past time to a serious hobby. The decision was motivated by my rapid progress and my desire to set some specific goals related to climbing. I've been able to improve thanks to the encouragement and advice of my climbing partner, Dan, who often says "You should be so much better than you are." I agree.

Part of this becoming a more serious hobby is actually training for climbing specifically. This involves yoga (not the meditation type but the type done in P90X), finger board training, and a regular climbing routine. It's going to take a little bit more time but I am confident I can do this and all else that is on my docket. This is already a busy semester but climbing gives me a needed escape - when you are on the wall you can't think of anything else but your hands and feet... and breathing.

I also plan on entering climbing competitions. I don't have illusions of doing especially well. Climbers, like runners, are a different breed. You can tell with competitions with names like:

Passion for Flashin'
Quick on the Draw

Here's a short video of what these bouldering competitions are like. Don't be deceived; I'm not near as good as those men OR those women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.