Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Not that sort of example

Earlier today I gave a oral presentation in my Genomic Sciences class, presenting a plan to create artificial ribosome via computer-aided design. I was supposed to have conferred extensively with the professor in the days preceding the presentation. However, because I was in Dallas with limited internet, because I chose to not work on Sunday, and because I was less than the most disciplined person I know, I did not get him my slides in time. He was understandably upset with me. To use his words "pissed."

So, what did he do? He made an example of me in front of the class for the 50 minutes that I presented. He asked hard questions, challenged my logic, made it impossible to finish my presentation in time, and was generally difficult. It had been a long while since I had felt that uncomfortable and felt so unintelligent in front of so large a group of people. Quite frankly, It was worse than my prelim.

Please don't misunderstand me. I have no hard feelings toward the man; he's a genius in his own right. He had every right to be upset at me. I have no excuse even though I haltingly tried to excuse my falling short. It was due to my lack of diligence, to my lack of discipline that this happened. I never want to be that sort of example (a bad one) in the future. And I never want to be caught making excuses for my actions ever again. Period.

(So if you do catch me making excuses, please bring it to my attention :) )

Experiences like these, much like the ribosome, tend to catalyze change faster than any other. I MUST become more disciplined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.