Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's a post prelim world!

Monday, after waking up at 12:30 AM, I worked feverishly until 10 AM when I gave the oral presentation concluding my preliminary examination.

Friday afternoon, I receive a letter from the department head, Nick Abbott. It was rather short containing the following lines:
I am pleased to report that you have fulfilled the qualifying requirement for the Ph.D program.
You will receive specific written feedback on your performance within two weeks.
On behalf of the faculty, I would like to commend you on your performance to date and wish you success in your research.
I had passed my prelim! My advisor had tipped me off that I had performed well enough to pass earlier in the week. He had then proceeded to list all of the things that I had done wrong. (He's not one to let me revel in my success :) ). I appreciated his candor; I know he is hard on me because he wants me to be great.
Now that I've passed my preliminary exams, I can breathe and take a look around. What do I see? I see that I am like the plant on my desk....
...alive but in some ways neglected. I've neglected my body more these last few weeks than any other time in recent memory. While all I have to show for that is a tired countenance, unlike my plant that I forgot to water, I can't keep this up. Something needs to change.

Since there is no immediate end to the demands that have been placed on me, I must fuel myself with better materials. Enter fruit smoothies and homemade granola (see example below) I've discovered this combination to be a powerful beginning to a morning. Combine this with some yoga and scripture study and wha-LA! A good day already in the making, all before 8 AM! I will post the recipe I am using after further optimization



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.