Classes officially started yesterday. 60 of us gathered to be instructed by professors from various institutions throughout France. Just outside the window were lush green conifer forests with sea-green moss hanging from their boughs. The lecturers are quite good; their english is very comprehensible, as it is for most of the attendees. I don't feel near as bad not speaking French. When I went for my morning jog I said "Bonjour" to those peatones that I passed and did my best to pretend to actually speak French. Of course, I don't really but I realize that what I lack in foreign languages I can make up by being a friendly, charismatic American. So far, so good.
Thus far, I've been very impressed with the French cuisine. In fact, I think it may supplant Italian food as my preferred nationality when it comes to food. The food seems to be quite healthy and it is always served as a 3 or 4 course meal. First we have bread and a soup or salad. Then we are brought the main dish. This is followed by a dessert. The food seems to be quite healthy, a refreshing contrast to the fried dishes that seem to dominate American restaurants.
The croissants that I had this morning were just spectacular; they seemed to just melt in your mouth. They also had some homemade granola that puts mine to shame. It probably is not quite as healthy but definitely worthy of emulation. I'll have to smuggle some back to the states for further analysis by others with more discerning palates than I.
I've met many mother of my colleagues today, primarily while eating in the cafeteria. It's been fun, though not quite as time efficient as my normal "fueling up. All of these "social culinary experiences" may convince me of the value of not seeing my food as fuel and fuel only. Could this be one of the most valuable lessons that I can take from this experience? We will see.
Since this is affiliated with the Universite Joseph Fourier, it is only appropriate that we have art in the form of sine waves out front.
Thank you for keeping us up dated. This looks to be a totally great experience.
ReplyDeleteMom
I totally agree about the food. Much healthier--always made from fresh ingredients. The French see meals as a time to really converse and get to know people. They discuss all matter of topics, etc. They love politics, just so you know.
ReplyDeleteThe French also regard conversation as an art... so don't plan on only spending a few moments talking to people. The more willing you are to talk the better opinion they will have of you. And once you've cracked the outer crust of the Frenchies you'll have a friend for life. Totally worth the time and effort!