This morning I had a rather interesting experience. I had gone to church early to attend Ward Council only to find that church was being canceled because of the deteriorating road conditions. Sleet, ice, and snow were falling intermittently, making the drive particularly treacherous. I didn't think much of it as my car does surprisingly well in the snow. After notifying the members of the ward and talking with the Bishop, I headed on home.
It was during my drive home that a car in front of me spun out of control and hit a telephone pole, detaching the back bumper and shattering the rear window. I pulled to the side of the road to check on the driver. She was OK so I set about reattaching her bumper with a spare bungie cord that I had in my trunk. The driver wasn't quite sure what she should do and I wasn't either, never having been in a car accident myself. I advised her as best I could and then watched her drive her car to her destination. Upon my arrival at home, I wondered about the accuracy of the counsel that I gave her and did some research online.
I realized, much to my embarrassment and chagrin, that I should have had her call the police so that an accident report could have been filed. I also should have given her my address and full name instead of just my first name and phone number. I hope that my ignorance due to a lack of personal preparation does not unduly inconvenience her. This was yet another reminder that "when the time to perform arrives, the time to prepare has passed." I should have been better positioned to give advice in that situation. I will not put myself in that situation again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.