Sunday, May 1, 2011

My political theory

This post began as a daydream during a lecture on Flory-Huggins theory while the debate and protests were raging on the Capitol as Gov. Walker's administration sought to "bust" the unions. It's been percolating in my mind for a while and today I have a few minutes to explain my political position. Purposefully it is very broad; it is my personal approach to post-partisanship.

I operate under 2 assumptions.

1. Man's individual right to choose is the most important freedom that we have and must be preserved.
2. People are inherently good. (A tenable assumption? Perhaps, but I'm an optimist!)

With those assumptions, I proceed.

Mankind should be free. Free to choose. Free to choose to good. I believe that people will most often do good when left to their own devices. This often comes in the form of acts of charity, honesty, and kindness. When mankind ceases to act in this manner, issues such as public sector unions become irrelevant as we then have far more serious problems to address.

When mankind does good to each other, the happiness of he or she that does the good is the general result. This is according to Research by Arthur Brooks that shows that those people who give charitably to their fellowmen are happier. This is consistent with my own experience, where doing good to others through service and charitable giving has brought me great fulfillment, contentment, and happiness. Such happiness would not result if the opportunities to do good were removed. This is the reason why I am leery of a socialist approach to government where the government steps in to remove the need for us to take care of each other.

Yes, government is necessary to provide basic services but ample room should remain for us to act for the good of our fellowmen. I much rather prefer to give 15+% of my pay to those who need it than to pay 15% in tax. Contrast how you feel when you write a check to Uncle Sam with how feel when you give charitably. Why is it so different? Because we don't have to; we are using our freedom to choose to help our fellowmen!

Changing the focus slightly, oftentimes people talk about supposed "rights." These go far beyond the right to choose. This includes the right to collectively bargain, the right to bear arms, etc. I believe that we sometimes get so caught up in this "rights talk" that we forget the general theory of the social contract, where we give up some rights so that our natural rights (see John Locke) can be preserved. Some rights are curtailed or limited so that we are protect and do not live lives that are "brutish, nasty, and short." However, in this day and age, everyone expects that their rights are ever expanding and heedlessly disregard the fact that they are encroaching on the rights of others. What's more, there is a general feeling of entitlement.

My personal feelings are that I deserve only the opportunity to work hard and to be raised in a family with parents that honor their marital vows with complete fidelity. I'm not entitled to good health, job security, government-funded retirement, straight A's, etc. However, it's been my experience that these things [have come|are coming|will come] as I've worked hard. And if not, what of it? I'll still work hard and be the best Christian possible.

I welcome your critique. If shown to be wrong, I'm not so proud that I won't change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.